Housing Waiting List Additional Information

Page 1 of 6

Closes 20 Aug 2021

Guidance Notes

Housing tenure guidance notes:

Low Cost Home Ownership

  • This is a type of housing tenure which allows buyers who meet specific criteria to purchase a property at lower than market value. This can help people on low or moderate income buy a home who can't pay the full price. Usually, but not always, this would mean that the buyer purchases a majority equity stake in the property (e.g. 60%-90%) and the developer, or public body would retain a minority equity stake in the property.


  • This allows prospective homeowners buy a plot of land and build their own property. Usually, the prospective homeowner would project manage the building of the property by contractors -   this does not mean you have to do all the physical work yourself.

Housing Association Rent

  • This is a form of social rented accommodation, similar to Council housing. Housing Associations can be nationally or locally based and are run by committees of volunteers. Day to day operations is managed by professional staff.

Mid-Market Rent

  • Mid-market rent is generally for working households who don't qualify or are not a priority for social rented accommodation but cannot afford to buy their own property or rent on the open market.

Shared Ownership

  • This allows the household to buy a percentage equity share in a property and to pay rent on the remainder usually to a local authority or housing association.

Rent to Buy

  • Rent to Buy gives you the chance to rent a home whilst saving to buy the property after a period of time.


Property types guidance notes:

•Tenement flat – this means there is a shared front access to the building.

•Other Flat/Maisonette – this means you live in a flat that is on two levels and has stairs. If you live in a maisonette you will get to your home by an outside stairway or entrance.

•Bungalow – this is a single-storey property.

•Sheltered housing – self-contained flats for elderly people (60+) that includes a level of support, such as an emergency alarm service and a warden service. (A warden would, for example, check on residents every day to check they are safe. They may also arrange for repairs to be carried out or organise medical appointments).

•Main-door flat – this means you live in a property that is separated into four self- contained flats and you can get to your flat from the street through your own front door.

•Cottage or house – this is a two-storey property, usually semi-detached or terraced.

•Very Sheltered Housing –Sheltered Housing, but with additional supports such as meal service, etc.